HK police to clear last Occupy Central site, bringing end to two-month protest
Mon, Dec 15, 2014
Hong Kong police are scheduled to clear the last occupation site of the pro-democracy protests today, ending more than two months of road blockades in the territory that have disrupted traffic and sparked violent clashes between police and demonstrators.
Police plan to “exercise powers conferred by the law to remove the obstacles” in the popular shopping area of Causeway Bay, Police Chief Superintendent Steve Hui (許鎮德) said in a news conference yesterday. Police are scheduled to give a media briefing at about 9:30am today before proceeding, Hui said.
“I now urge the illegal road occupiers to remove the obstacles, take their personal belongings and leave the occupied area in a peaceful and orderly manner,” Hui said. “If the illegal road occupiers refuse to leave, police will take action to disperse them and may arrest those who attempt to obstruct officers in the execution of duty.”
The street protests began on Sept. 26 when student leaders stormed the premises of the government headquarters, and on Sept. 28 the protests involved as many as 100,000 people after police used tear gas in an attempt to disperse the demonstrators.
It became the biggest challenge to China’s rule over Hong Kong since it resumed sovereignty over the former British colony in 1997.
Demonstrators demanded that China reverse its decision to vet chief executive candidates in the 2017 elections through a nominating committee, a mechanism that the pro-democracy camps said would only select prospective leaders favored by Beijing.
The protest site in Causeway Bay has been the smallest since demonstrators started occupying key roads in the territory in late September.
Police removed the roadblocks in the main Admiralty district protest site near government offices with little interference on Thursday, after clearance of another site in Mong Kok resulted in some clashes in last month.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2014/12/15/2003606797
Where :Hong Kong
Why: ending more than two months of road blockades in the territory.How: disrupted traffic and sparked violent clashes between police and demonstrators.
Key words
1 pro-democracy 民運2 blockades 封鎖
3 conference 會議4 briefing 簡報5 proceeding 訴訟6 disperse 驅散7 execution 執行8 stormed 衝9 sovereignty 主權10 candidates 候選人
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2014/12/15/2003606797
Where :Hong Kong
Why: ending more than two months of road blockades in the territory.How: disrupted traffic and sparked violent clashes between police and demonstrators.
Key words
1 pro-democracy 民運2 blockades 封鎖
3 conference 會議4 briefing 簡報5 proceeding 訴訟6 disperse 驅散7 execution 執行8 stormed 衝9 sovereignty 主權10 candidates 候選人
I feel pitiful to the residents in Hong Kong .
回覆刪除They are almost be swallowed up by China, I support the brave protesters.
Because they let me think of the Sunflower event that happened in Taiwan few month ago. I hope Hong Kong will get their right and be independent.
Their action is similar to our Sunflower movement.
回覆刪除Both want to get their rights.
I hope they can get what they want.